Our Overseas Qualifications Unit (OQU) assesses qualifications to help you secure work or further your studies in the Northern Territory.

Who can have their qualification assessed by us

You must live in the Northern Territory (NT) and be one of the following:

  • an Australian or New Zealand citizen
  • a permanent Australian resident
  • a person who holds a valid Australian work visa or student visa
  • a holder of an Australian provisional residence visa – (eg visa subclass 173, 188, 309, 820 etc)
  • a returning Australian citizen with a final award certificate for tertiary studies overseas.

Overseas qualification types that can be assessed

The Skills Recognition Centre can assess tertiary and higher education qualifications. This is usually diplomas, bachelor degrees, masters degrees and PhDs.

Overseas qualifications that cannot be assessed

The following qualifications cannot be assessed:

  • health professions – for example, nursing
  • engineering
  • teaching
  • short courses (less than one year)
  • single subjects
  • incomplete qualifications
  • secondary school qualifications
  • trade and vocational certificates
  • overseas licenses or permits
  • work experience, either professional or technical
  • credit towards further study and English language skills.

See the list of skills recognition, licensing and regulating bodies below that may be able to assess your qualification.

Skills recognition, licensing and regulating bodies

You can go to the following websites for more information about overseas qualifications:

Or visit: