Living in the Northern Territory

The Territory offers a dynamic and progressive environment yet has a relaxed and friendly pace. In The Territory, you will find more than 100 nationalities who happily share their cultures.

Find out more about life in The Territory.

Job Seekers affected by COVID-19

The Northern Territory (NT) Government is supporting and providing assistance to help you if you are affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).

There are programs and services you may be able to access if:

  • you have lost your job due to coronavirus (COVID-19)
  • you are looking for work
  • you are looking to upskill or reskill.

Please visit the NT Government’s webpage for further information.

Employment & Self Employment

The Territory offers many employment opportunities, but sometimes it’s hard to know where to start. The Work in the Northern Territory website and the Employment Guide for Migrants will guide you and give you some useful tips.

If you have an idea for starting your own small business, you may be eligible for New Business Assistance with the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS).

For further information about employment or starting a business in the Territory visit the following links:


Volunteering is a great way to contribute to your community, make friends, get Australian work experience, and build networks and skills. You can volunteer with organisations in areas including:

  • environment
  • health
  • welfare
  • sport
  • recreation
  • education
  • human rights
  • arts
  • religion
  • community services
  • emergency services.

Go to the Volunteering SA-NT website for more information on how you can become a volunteer.

Health & Medicare

The Commonwealth Government’s healthcare system, called Medicare, covers all Australian
citizens, permanent residents and citizens of New Zealand. Medicare gives you access to:

  • a range of medical services for free or at a lower cost including:
    • doctors
    • specialists
    • optometrists, and
    • at times, dentists and other allied health professionals
  • lower cost prescriptions, and
  • free care as a public patient in a public hospital.

Restricted access to Medicare is available to some temporary visa holders from countries
where Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement.

To register for Medicare, update your address or for more information visit the Department of Human Services website.

Information is available in different languages.

You may also wish to consider private health insurance. For information about how it works,
who and what is covered, and to compare funds, visit the website.

Don’t forget to update your Medicare Card with your new address!

Multicultural Service Organisations

Multicultural Council of the NT

The Multicultural Council of the NT provides direct services for individuals, families and communities from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds in Darwin and surrounds.

Phone: (08) 8945 9122

Multicultural Community Services of Central Australia

Multicultural Community Services of Central Australia Inc assists with the settlement of migrants in Alice Springs.

Phone: (08) 8952 8776

Anglicare NT

Anglicare NT provides settlement support, services and referrals to clients (up to 5 years from arrival) under the Refugee and Migrant Settlement Services.

Phone: (08) 8985 0000

Melaleuca Refugee Centre

Melaleuca Refugee Centre provides settlement programs for humanitarian entrants, including case management and counselling.

Phone: (08) 8985 3311

Interpreter and Translating Services NT

Interpreter and Translating Services NT provides interpreting and translating services for migrants and assists government and non-government agencies to communicate with Territorians who speak languages other than English.

Phone: (08) 8999 8506

Community Legal Services

Top End Women’s Legal Service

The Top End Women’s Legal Service provides free and confidential legal advice, community legal education and advocacy on issues of importance to women in the Top End.  

Phone: 1800 234 441

Get information and contact details for other women’s legal services in the NT including in Katherine and Alice Springs.

NT Legal Aid Commission

The NT Legal Aid Commission provides legal services to Territorians with offices in Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs. You can get free and confidential legal information, referral to other services and legal advice.

Helpline: 1800 019 343

Darwin Community Legal Service

Darwin Community Legal Service publishes useful fact sheets about a range of legal topics. The service also provides a range of free legal and advocacy services.

Phone: 1800 812 953

Domestic Violence Legal Service

This is a free service for victims and people at risk of domestic and family violence

Phone: (08) 8999 7977

Find other legal services in the Northern Territory you can contact if you are experiencing domestic and family violence.

Family & Community Services

Family Planning NT

Family Planning NT promotes sexual health and rights for everyone. 

Phone: (08) 8948 0144


National sexual assault, domestic & family violence counselling service. Provides a service directory for men and women as well as a 24-hour counselling helpline.

Phone: 1800 737 732 – available 24/7. Call 131 450 if you want help from the Translating and Interpreting Service during your phone call.

Alcoholic Anonymous

Alcoholics Anonymous provides assistance and support to recover from alcoholism.

Phone: 1300 222 222

Health Direct

Health Direct provides 24-hour access to health information and advice. No matter where you live, or what time of the day or night it is, you can talk to a health professional, find trusted advice online about the appropriate care for your health issue and find the closest local services that are open when you need them. 

Phone: 1800 022 222

NT Council of Social Services

The NT Council of Social Services community service provides directories on its website for health, welfare and community services in the NT.

Ruby Gaea

Ruby Gaea provides free, confidential counselling and support to women and children who have experienced sexual assault at any time in their lives.

Phone: (08) 8945 0155

Other helplines

Women’s Crisis Line: 1800 811 811

Men’s Referral Service: 1300 766 491

Lifeline (24 hour crisis line): 131 114

Relationships Australia: 1300 364 277

Community support workers who provide information and referral services

Greek Community Welfare Officer – Phone: (08) 8981 7203

Canossian Sisters – Italian/Portuguese/Timorese communities – Phone: (08) 8985 3128